Saturday, November 16, 2013

Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?

horseshoe, horseshoe craft, hang a horseshoe

Are you lucky? I'm totally lucky.

Yes, I'm lucky to have an awesome family and great kids (truly). But, here's a little secret, I'm also lucky, as in lotto winner lucky.

I'm gonna get luckier, because I made this cool horseshoe, which I will get to in a minute, but first, let me tell you the lottery story.

A few months ago, the New York lottery was around 150 million dollars. I woke up the day of the lottery just feeling lucky. Really, I did. So I told Big A, and he said, "Well you'd better go and buy a lottery ticket then". So I did. This was my first time buying a lottery ticket, so I was excited.

I raced out to the gas station where they sell the tickets, and then raced home, ticket in hand. I ran through the back door and thrust the ticket at Big A - because he knows how to do these things. He proceeded to sit down at the kitchen table and put his glasses on (that means it's an important moment), to scratch off the ticket and check out those numbers.

I have to admit, I was a little nervous, even though I was fairly confident I would be a winner. You worry about all of the media attention, or if the wealth will affect your children... Anyway, after several minutes....

Big A looked up at me with a funny little grin. I KNEW IT!!! Guess who won the lottery! This girl!

Eight dollars. It's your birthday. Eight dollars. It's your birthday.

As I chanted and danced, Big A shook his head and walked out of the kitchen.

I yelled after him, "Hey, that's either dollars more than I had! First time playing the lottery and it's a winner!" I think he mumbled something about me spending two dollars on the ticket, but whatever.

It makes me happy to look for lucky things.

For instance, the other day I was reading Readers Digest at the dentists office. (It was a lucky day, because usually I end up with Popular Mechanics or Sports Illustrated).  Anyway, I was reading this incredible story about a lady named Ann Hodges. Compared to Ann Hodges we're all super lucky. She was snuggled up on her sofa when a grapefruit-size meteorite fell through the roof of her house, bounced off her radio, and hit her! She's the first, and maybe only, person to be hit by a meteorite. She lived, but geesh. THAT makes me feel lucky.

Ok, time to stop fooling around and show you my horseshoe.

This summer I found a horseshoe in our stone wall. That wall has been on our property for who knows how long, and we don't have a horse, so that old horseshoe could be super old. I found it and thought that was pretty lucky!

I wanted to hang it up somewhere, but first, I put it in the basement to collect luck for a while. Finally, when it was all luckified, and I had an idea of where I wanted to hang it, I gave it a quick spray of gold glitter spray paint.

Then I wrapped it with twine to make a little hanger for it, and because I like twine. I used a hot glue gun to secure the twine, because it wouldn't be very lucky if a horseshoe fell off the wall and on anyone's head.

 
Feeling a little nervous, at the irony of a good luck charm falling on my head, I added a good thick line of glue to the back for good measure.


I like the twine and the glitter with the rusted metal. It looks cool. And lucky.


I hung it up by our back door, and made a little bow of twine to hide the hook.

 
Here is the panned out view (with the paint looking true to color - our kitchen is yellow, not taupe. I don't know why the above photo came out that color. Anyway....)


I love it. I hope it brings more luck. I really hope it doesn't fall on my head.

What about you? Are you lucky?

(Party here!)

8 comments:

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

hahaha! One year my dad bought 30 tickets from a roll and handed them out at Christmas sure one or two of us would win a few bucks or free ticket. Not one winner. We might need that horseshoe!

Unknown said...

What a bummer! Sure, go get a horseshoe - that oughtta help! If you win, gimme a shout - I'll help you spend it... Julia

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Beautiful post! Great space here...loving it.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

Hehehe.... This post is as adorable as that horseshoe!

Unknown said...

Thanks Amy! :)

Allison @ Dream a Little Bigger said...

I like this a lot and I especially like your title. You are too funny, Julia! :)

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Good old Clint Eastwood...punk! I think I'd be ducking everytime I walked through the door lol! It does make a cute wall decoration though. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays.

Unknown said...

Hi Allison! I'm glad you stopped by!

Deborah - yes I'm a little nervous when things are hung over my head! LOL!

Julia