Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Being Grateful

 

being grateful, giving thanks, thanksgiving
 


With winter setting in, and Thanksgiving approaching, I'm getting excited for the holidays. Lots of people are sharing what they're grateful for, so I wanted to share a story with you all. It's about my Mom and Dad.

My parents are the best - and I love them very, very much. I'm especially grateful to them because they make me laugh every single day. It's not as if they tell jokes. No. They just Do And Say Funny Things. Today is no different.

Here is the Story

My Dad retired this year. Mom retired several years ago, and has had the house to herself five days a week. Now they're both retired and at home. Together. All the time.

My sister and I were a little worried about how they would get along being together all day, every day. You know, people get used to their schedule and their own space. And then suddenly, like so many couples after retirement, they're thrown back together, 24/7.

It's got to be an adjustment.

Not to mention, my Mom and Dad are somewhat different from one another. Dad likes to watch Cops, Mom likes to watch Millionaire. Dad likes to cut down trees, Mom likes to plant trees. Dad likes to buy tools, Mom likes to buy shoes. These seem like inconsequential differences, but think of the potential for conflict!

Yes, we were a little worried.

Yet it appears we were worried about nothing. My Mom and Dad seem to be having fun. They're having an addition built. They go shopping. They go out to lunch. That's what they tell us anyway.

Seems all is going well.

Yesterday, secure in this fact, I felt the urge to chat about Thanksgiving, so I called my Mom. It was late afternoon, and I pictured my Dad in his big chair by the fire, and Mom making him dinner while we chatted.

We hit all the side dishes - my sister is bringing a pear and sweet potato bake, I'll make the green bean casserole. We talked about relatives - and who may or may not be coming. We talked turkey - the size of the bird, and method of cooking.

We were mid-turkey-talk, and just about to talk PIE.

Abruptly my Mom stopped and said (seriously and with some urgency):

"Honey, I'll call you right back. I just remembered, I have to let Dad out of the basement."

And she hung up.

And I laughed, and immediately called my sister.

What's making you laugh today?

19 comments:

Wilted Acres said...

At least she remembered to let him out! ;-)

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Now that is funny! Now I'm dying to know what that was about.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment. Your comment email is set to noreply, so I couldn't reply back that way.

I agree that we need to let those emotions out. I'm just not very good at that, so they all build up until I have a really bad day. I'm over it now though. Thanks for being so sweet!

Unknown said...

You're very fortunate to have both parents still living. I LOVED reading about them and truly got a giggle. Thanks so much for sharing, it has made me smile!

Blog Stance said...

Now that's funny!

Thanks for the laugh!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

lol, nice! My dog never fails to make me giggle - he's one goofy mutt!

SewSweetVIntage said...

That is so funny! Gotta love parents:)

Unknown said...

Glad you all enjoyed - Happy to report my dad is back in his chair and they're still getting along just fine. LOL!

Julia

Babs said...

Why does this story not surprise me!! Maybe I'll try this on Phil

Karina said...

Hi Julia,
That really is a funny story. Sometimes the simplest of stories are also the funniest. Thank you for sharing it on the Thumping Thursdays Blog Hop.

Sincerely,
Karina

Unknown said...

Barb - anyone who knows Mom and Dad wouldn't be surprised! Just another day in the life... :-)

Karina - thanks for your Hop!

J.

Unknown said...

Funny! I won't share with my mom though, she may be tempted....
jody@countryroadabode.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Jody - hahaha! No, for the sake of your dad, best to keep it to yourself!

Julia

Unknown said...

UPDATE FROM MY DAD:

"Julie, Mom says she let me out, but I'm still down here. Fortunately there's a refrigerator with beer and food down here. I'm good for a few days."

:-)

april said...

haha!! sounds like they are getting along just fine together ;)

melissa@joyineveryseason said...

ha! so funny!! i've wondered myself about how those retirement years are going to go ... putting a basement on my wish list now ;)

Unknown said...

OH BOy!!!, lol...as long as there is a basement and a spare set of keys they'll be alright, lol My parents have been married for 46 years now and well...i think the key is that my dad Is Still Working HA!!!! (he owns his own accounting firm with my little brother, so you get the idea) Thanks for sharing your story Julie, many blessings to you and your mom and dad!

Unknown said...

You guys are all funny! Melissa - yep, it might come in handy to have a basement, or an attic...

Lizbeth, yes, I think they're going to be just fine!

Thank you for stopping by! Julia

Kayla @ Home Coming said...

So funny! Thanks so much for linking up to The DIY'ers!

Richella Parham said...

This made me laugh out loud! Thanks so much for sharing a smile at Grace at Home!