Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Metabolism Boosting Mocha Smoothie

breakfast smoothie, diet breakfast smoothie, diet smoothie


I'm not a breakfast person. I drink coffee, and truly consider the creamer in my coffee, my breakfast.

That's bad.

I know they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and sometimes I feel guilty for skipping it. (Plus nutritionists lead people think they're going to turn into a gibbering mess if they don't eat a healthy breakfast every day.) This week when I stumbled upon two little recipes I thought I'd give them a try.

Guess what? Both are delicious! Neither feels like breakfast - they feel like treats.

I found the first recipe in Redbook Magazine.  It is called "Magic Slim Down Banana Mocha Smoothie". I didn't make the recipe because it claims to be a slim-down, but that would be a bonus! I was drawn to the recipe because it had coffee in it, and so I read it through. I decided to make it for my daughter and me. (She also loves coffee and isn't too fond of breakfast!)

Your have to try this Smoothie! Here's the recipe:

BANANA-MOCHA SMOOTHIE

1 large frozen banana
(The day before, cut the banana into chunks, put in a zip lock bag, and pop in the freezer)
1/2 cup cold coffee (leftover is fine)
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Nestle)
1 tbsp almond butter (I used peanut butter)

Add all ingredients to a blender and BLEND until smooth. This takes about 1 minute. The result is just like a milkshake.

According to the Redbook researchers, this shake will rev your metabolism, burn fat, and is full of antioxidants. Okay, that works. Plus, I figure, your getting fruit, dairy, protein AND coffee all in about 250 calories. Not too shabby.

My verdict: Delicious. 
Honestly, I was suspicious that the smoothie wouldn't be very sweet, 
and that my daughter wouldn't like it, 
however, it DOESN'T need sugar - it's sweet and creamy.
Plus it's filling! In the immortal words of Charlie Sheen, WINNING

OKAY, so then I ran across the following "cookie" recipe. I have two teenagers, and I'm lucky if the kids have time to grab an apple on their way out. If they do, I call that a good morning. But these little cookies are great to have on hand! I LOVE that I can cook these up, pop them in baggies, and hand them to the kids as we head out for school in the morning. Oats and banana? That's a pretty good breakfast.

2 ingredient cookie, breakfast cookies

For the full tutorial go to The Burlap Bag! The basic recipe is oats and bananas, mixed together and baked. You can add whatever you like, such as chocolate chips, Cinnamon, nuts, etc.  If you choose to eat them plain, they're sweet and delicious! Plus, no added sugar makes them a perfectly healthy breakfast.

Okay, so there it is. Breakfast. Could be my new thing.

What about you? What do you eat for breakfast, and what do you give your kids in the morning? 



Come and party HERE !!!



32 comments:

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I'm not a breakfast person either. I like scrambled eggs with cheese, but I wait until 10 or 11 AM, and sometimes until noon to eat. This sounds delicious and I always have bananas in the freezer, and usually leftover coffee. I can't wait to try it! ~Deborah

Unknown said...

Deborah - It's really good, and I'm just like you! If someone makes me eggs (ie. hubby), about 10 a.m., I'm happy. Otherwise, it's just the coffee! But I can drink this... Julia

Unknown said...

Metabolism boosting or not, this looks so yummy! I will definitely have to try this!

Thanks for linking up at our Twirl and Take a Bow Party! Hope to see you again!

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

hahaha, I hate coffee too! I never thought of myself at all THAT picky but it seems like I'm always turning my nose at one thing or another. I think I may need to get over myself....

Unknown said...

If I were a coffee lover I would probably love this. But I can't get past the smell.

Unknown said...

Trina - I hope you like it!

Susan - Too funny! It is my goal this month to post a recipe that you will eat!!!! LOL! We can't have you starving to death!

Sarah - maybe try it and omit the coffee and use all skim milk?

Julia

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I just had to let you know I tried this today. It is sooo good! I did add two drops of liquid stevia to sweeten just a tad more...I know, I know...I have a wicked sweet tooth! Thanks again for sharing. I'll be making more of these. ~Deborah

Kristin said...

These sound amazing! I need to pin the smoothie recipe - that would be my idea of a great dessert! I struggle with breakfast a bit too, so I'm always trying to find that thing that clicks! We get together on Tuesdays (Mon. Night) to share healthy living Tips and Tricks and this post would be a perfect tip to link up! Join us if you get a chance!

Unknown said...

I will have to try this version - I am not really a banana person though. I make a lot of "green smoothies" or fruit smoothies and use protein powder in them.

Unknown said...

Kimiberlee - it's funny, all the ingredients mix together and you don't really taste any one flavor. Let me know if you try it! Julia

Kristen, I will put that in my calendar! J.

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I just wanted to let you know that I will be featuring this at What We Accomplished Wednesday this week. Have a happy day! ~Deborah

Claire Justine said...

Whoo I bet it is so yummy :) Thanks for linking up ...

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Deborah!! See you Wednesday. :) Julia

Clairejustine - thank you for stopping by!

Julia

Anonymous said...

This smoothie looks good!

Susan @HomeschoolWithLove said...

That smoothie looks delicious! I'm going to have to try that. My teens and I usually have coffee and homemade granola for breakfast. Sometimes we'll through in fresh fruit too.

100affections said...

That smoothie looks delicious! I hate wasting coffee, and that is a perfect solution! I've been on a smoothie kick and this is just what I needed! Stopping by from SITS comment love. Also, love your tree silhouette! Amazing! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by! This smoothie is good! I promise! Even my picky kids love it!

Katie - sad fact: I save leftover coffee in the fridge! I HATE throwing it out!!! LOL!

Julia

row L seat 1 said...

From one coffee drinker to another...that smoothie sounds delicious! I'm definitely adding it to my "to try" list!

Mary Beth said...

This sounds good and healthy! Thanks so much for sharing at this week's Project Inspire{d} ~ pinning!

K said...

This sounds like the wonderful breakfast. I'm fairly sure my veins are filled with coffee so this is perfect. Can't wait to try this!

Coming at you from the SITS Comment Love Tribe!

Kat D. said...

This sounds like it would be delish!!! I may have to try!

Sharing some SITS Girls comment love!

Anonymous said...

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and I live for coffee. This smoothie looks yummy and I can't wait to try it! #SITSBlogging

Unknown said...

If you like coffee, and chocolate, this is for you!

If you try the smoothie, let me know! Julia

Betsy Pool said...

Looks really good.Thanks for linking up at Romance on a Dime!!

Ashley M. said...

The smoothie is pretty good. I'm a health fiend so I added a small handful of spinach to it and used almond milk (since i'm vegan) still delicious!

Unknown said...

Ashley, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Good idea to add some greens - even more healthy! I love almond milk, so I'll have to try that! Julia

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of coffee or banana so I added a 1/2 tablespoon of date sugar to take some bitterness away. I also added 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed just for the heck of it. All in all it's pretty good! I think I'll keep it up for a few days and see how I feel. Thanks for the recipes!:)

Winnie said...

I'm not a breakfast girl either, and don't even like coffee much, but I'm definitely making this smoothie.
I also happen to have a banana in the freezer.
Thanks for much for this recipe

Unknown said...

I am severely allergic to bananas, do you think it could be ok if I substituted it for 1 cup of frozen triple berries? ( rasberries, black Berries, and blue berries. )

Unknown said...

Olivia~ i'm sure that would be great! Berries and chocolate... :) let me know! Julia

Unknown said...

Try the same with carnation instant breakfast in place of the cocoa powder. It lasts me about 5 hrs before I get hungry again.

Unknown said...

I am very allergic to tomatoes and oranges, I feal your pain! I think cocoa-strawberry would be awesome!