Thursday, March 13, 2014

Taco Muffins

Taco recipe, taco muffins, kid-friendly recipes, kid recipes

Up until this year I managed to successfully avoid Taco Bell. In fact, I was trying to go my whole life. 

I love Tacos, but I couldn't get my head around the Taco Bell rumors. I get a little turned off by the thought of human digits, horse meat, and my personal favorite: enema juice.

However. 

Despite the rumors. Despite my firm belief that you do not spit in the wind. I broke down and had a beef taco. 
Mistake.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way being critical of fast food ~ but I'll stick to making my own tacos. And when the fast food mood strikes, happily eat a Big Mac!

Lucky for me, Tacos are easy to make. I love Tacos. Taco Dip. Taco salad. Taco Casserole. AND these little tacos made in a muffin tin. My kids love them too, and they make a great appetizer, or fun dinner in front of a good movie.

Taco Muffins
  • 2 pie crust, unbaked
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 packet taco seasoning (I use spicy) 
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup queso dip
  • 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated/shredded 
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • Green onions, for garnish
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. 


Brown ground beef in a skillet, and drain the excess fat.  Stir in taco seasoning and water.  Simmer for 10 minutes. 
Taco recipe, taco muffins, kid-friendly recipes, kid recipes

Roll out pie crust to about 1/8  inch thickness and cut into 3 inch circles; my crusts made about 18 circles. 
Press each circle into the bottom of each muffin tin, and prick bottoms with a fork.
Taco recipe, taco muffins, kid-friendly recipes, kid recipes
Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.  
Fill each muffin with about 1/4 cup of ground beef, a teaspoon or two of queso, and sprinkle each generously with cheddar cheese.  
Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.  
Taco recipe, taco muffins, kid-friendly recipes, kid recipes
Serve with sour cream, salsa and green onions.  
Taco recipe, taco muffins, kid-friendly recipes, kid recipes


My kids don't like anything extra in their little tacos. But feel free to add chopped black olives, jalapenos, guacamole, corn, re-fried beans, etc.! 


TIP FOR REGULAR TACOS: 

Once done preparing your taco meat, preheat oven to 400. Take your hard taco shells and stand them up in a line, in a Pyrex 9x13 dish. Fill with taco meat and cheese and bake for 10 minutes.

This softens up the shell, so that when you bite into it, it doesn't explode all over your plate! 


HEY! Please don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter! (Above) 

Also, if you would like to join in some fun link parties, click HERE


8 comments:

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Hey! I like this one too! We're on a roll. :)

I used to make something similar except the pie crust was turned over to make a taco pie calzone thing. They were really good and froze beautifully. :)

Erlene said...

Never tried this before. Pinned for later.

Unknown said...

Susan - yay! We're on a roll! Your idea sounds awesome - may have to do that for the kids this week! Julia

Trina @ afewmineradjustments said...

Yum! I love tacos! This would be a great appetizer for a party. Thanks for sharing today at our Twirl and Take a Bow party! Hope to see you again next week!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Sounds like a nice change from regular tacos. We usually make ours in soft flour tortillas. I'll be my kids would love these. Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. ~Deborah

Julia @ Mini Van Dreams said...

I am featuring your recipe tomorrow on Tasty Tuesday! Thank you for linking up with us! Please stop by tomorrow and grab a featured button and link up again!

Julia @ Mini Van Dreams

Unknown said...

Thanks Julia! I tried to email you (listed as no-reply blogger), but I will be over to your blog! ((hugs)) Julia

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia, these look yummy....will have to pin this for sure!!! Thanks for leaving me a sweet reply on my blog Little Brags (the post about hiding a thermostat in plain sight). I tried to reply directly to your comment, but you come up as a non reply blogger (Google glitch). Thanks Christine from http://littlebrags.blogspot.com