Friday, October 19, 2012

I Want to be a Baker

Sometimes things just don't go as planned.

Take, for example, the muffins I tried to bake from scratch.  I am not baker, but this week I decided it was high time I learned how to bake.  I used to have a catering company, and although I can cook, I had to hire someone else when baking was required.  In fact, I'm so bad, I can ruin boxed cookies and cakes.  My own kids make fun of me.  SO, that's why I decided to show them - I WILL be a baker.  I found a blueberry muffin recipe, got all the ingredients together, and tried REALLY HARD to follow the directions exactly.

I envisioned the kids happily munching on their home made blueberry muffins, soft on the inside, slightly crispy on the outside.  I'd be standing by watching them eat, with a June Cleaver satisfied smile, and my apron tied around my waist, a light dusting of flour on my brow...

Except that's not quite how it went down.  The 4 year old flat our refused to take a bite of one.  My 11 year old son took one bite raised an eyebrow, and said they "needed something".  My 14 year old daughter took an enthusiastic bite of her muffin, and I was hopeful, but she promptly started choking.  No joke.

After I finished thumping her between the shoulder blades, and had her breathing again, I thought sadly, "maybe I'm not going to be a baker".

But later that day, my sister-in-law and mother-in-law both assured me that the muffins weren't bad, even though they almost killed my daughter.  And, I guess there's no harm done - I mean, you can't really poison anyone with a muffin. So maybe I'll keep trying.

Anyway.  That was just one thing that didn't go to plan this week. The other was the pumpkin carving.  We got a few pumpkins and lined them up on the front steps, awaiting their pumpkin glamification.

I was happily dreaming of carving, and drilling (so clever!), lighting...  Again, I envisioned something completely different from what actually transpired.



I wish I had been able to catch the dog with the pumpkin out in the yard on camera .  It seems she wanted to carve her own pumpkin.  Doggy DIY.  One pumpkin down, but two others are still ready for some carving action.  I will keep you posted on how they turn out.  But I'm not going to promise any great transformation.

Or maybe I'll make pumpkin muffins... And feed them to the dog.

No comments: