Thursday, March 6, 2014

Banana Bread with Streusel Topping


If there's a food you want, just mention it near me. I mean, you could just whisper it in the same room as me, and, you'll get it. Where food is concerned, I have what's commonly known as "power of suggestion-itis".

For example, last week Big A called me from work and told me he wanted lobster. I laughed. Hahaha! And then the "power of suggestion-itis" began: "Oh, right, lobster on a weeknight! Who would think of such a thing? Wait, lobster does sound good. Really good. MUST. HAVE. LOBSTER." Three hours later, I'm walking out of Wegman's with two Lobsters, and a pound of butter!

Similarly, this morning I was cutting up a banana for my daughters smoothie. My husband jokingly said, "Oooh, you makin' banana bread?".  That's it, banana bread on the brain. Three hours later, and banana bread is going into the oven.

It's kind of a curse for me, because it means extra work involved in my day. (Not to mention, there are usually several hundred calories involved!)

But today ~ damned if that bread isn't super good!  So, good, I had to share the recipe.

The recipe for the bread itself is so easy. But if you want to go the extra mile, make the streusel topping. It gets all crispy on the top of the bread, but some of it sinks into the bread and is all sugary and buttery. Worth it.

Banana Bread with Streusel Topping


Ingredients:


    • 1/2 cup butter
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 2 eggs, beaten
    • 4 bananas, mashed
    • 1 1/2 cups flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda (or 2 tsp baking powder) 
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

    • For Streusal Topping: 

      • 1/3 cup oats (I used quick-oats) 
      • 1/3 cup brown sugar
      • 2 tablespoons butter

Directions for the bread: 


  1. Cream together butter and sugar. Use beaters. 
  2. Add eggs and mashed bananas.
  3. Combine well. I used beaters for this. 
  4. Sift together flour, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture.  Combine well.
  5. Add vanilla. Mix well. 
  6. Pour into greased and floured loaf pan. (I used butter flavored Crisco to grease the pan)

    For Streusal: 
  7. Mix oats, brown sugar and butter for the streusal topping. I just mix this with a fork. 
  8. Sprinkle on top of unbaked bread mix. 
banana bread, streusel topping

9. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes

Use a toothpick and check that when it is inserted in the middle of the bread it comes out clean.

When the bread is cool, you can keep the banana bread in the fridge. Delicious toasted in the toaster oven. 
See how the streusel is in the middle of the bread AND on top! It's sooo delicious! 



I hope you'll try this. Let me see if YOU have "power of suggestion-itis". 

Banana Bread...

Banana Bread...

Banana Bread...

HEY! Please don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter! (Above) 

Also, if you would like to join in some fun link parties, click HERE

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nominated you for the Leibster Award! You can check out the rules here: http://heartloveshome.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/i-have-been-nominated/.

Louisette said...

Nice recipe.
Happy International Women Day
✿•*¨`*•. (¯`v´¯) (¯`v´¯) .•*¨`*•✿
✿•*¨`*•.¸( ¯`v´¯)¸.•´ *¨`*•✿ ..♥♥ •.¸.•´♥♥..
From Belgium

Unknown said...

Thank you so much heartsloveshome! I'm glad you stopped by!

Thank you Retriever!

Julia

Unknown said...

Yum! This streusel looks delish...must have streusel! :)

Marti @ SewLicious Home Decor said...

I wish I had you at my house, I think of desserts all day long! LOL This looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing it. I pinned it to the party board! :)

Marti

Unknown said...

Sami - you will like this! Make extra streusel!!! I don't think you could have too much!

Thank you Marti! With you thinking of desserts all day and me being open to suggestions we might end up rather large. But that would be fun getting there!

Julia

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

My kids love it when I put chocolate chips in my banana bread, but this struesel option sound delicious! I'll have to try it next time...which might be today cause you just whispered in my ear! Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week! ~Deborah

Alison Agnew said...

Mmm...banana bread. That sounds good. Might have to go make some now...

Looks so fabulous with the struesel topping. Would love for you to share at Fridays Unfolded!

Alison
Nancherrow

Amy@BuffaloRoam said...

No lie, the title alone made my mouth water. YUM!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks guys! I hope you make it - super easy and the crunchy top is TDF!!!

Julia

Heather said...

This bread sounds so delicious!! I'm featuring it tomorrow on the Moonlight & Mason Jars link-up party. Thank you so much for sharing, and for linking up! Be sure to stop by and pick up your "featured" button.

Julia@Happy House and Home said...

Thank you Heather! ((hugs)). Julia

Foodista said...

This looks super yummy! Love updating my banana bread recipe! Can't wait to try this out!!!

Foodista said...

This looks super yummy! Love updating my banana bread recipe! Can't wait to try this out!!!