For example, last week Big A called me from work and told me he wanted lobster. I laughed. Hahaha! And then the "power of suggestion-itis" began: "Oh, right, lobster on a weeknight! Who would think of such a thing? Wait, lobster does sound good. Really good. MUST. HAVE. LOBSTER." Three hours later, I'm walking out of Wegman's with two Lobsters, and a pound of butter!
Similarly, this morning I was cutting up a banana for my daughters smoothie. My husband jokingly said, "Oooh, you makin' banana bread?". That's it, banana bread on the brain. Three hours later, and banana bread is going into the oven.
It's kind of a curse for me, because it means extra work involved in my day. (Not to mention, there are usually several hundred calories involved!)
But today ~ damned if that bread isn't super good! So, good, I had to share the recipe.
The recipe for the bread itself is so easy. But if you want to go the extra mile, make the streusel topping. It gets all crispy on the top of the bread, but some of it sinks into the bread and is all sugary and buttery. Worth it.
Banana Bread with Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (or 2 tsp baking powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- For Streusal Topping:
- 1/3 cup oats (I used quick-oats)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions for the bread:
- Cream together butter and sugar. Use beaters.
- Add eggs and mashed bananas.
- Combine well. I used beaters for this.
- Sift together flour, soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Combine well.
- Add vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour into greased and floured loaf pan. (I used butter flavored Crisco to grease the pan)
- Mix oats, brown sugar and butter for the streusal topping. I just mix this with a fork.
- Sprinkle on top of unbaked bread mix.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes
Use a toothpick and check that when it is inserted in the middle of the bread it comes out clean.
When the bread is cool, you can keep the banana bread in the fridge. Delicious toasted in the toaster oven.
See how the streusel is in the middle of the bread AND on top! It's sooo delicious!
I hope you'll try this. Let me see if YOU have "power of suggestion-itis".
HEY! Please don't forget to subscribe to my newsletter! (Above)
Also, if you would like to join in some fun link parties, click HERE