Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Father's Day Ideas

My father and husband agree on everything. One of the big things they agree on is that for Father's Day, they should be left alone - no kids, and no wives. A pizza and a pile of chicken wings... Hilarious, right? 

Well, we all know that's not gonna happen! The kids, my mom and sister and I will be around to annoy them
all
day
long.

However, to soften the blow, I've done a little cyber-shopping, looking for some Father's Day ideas. I also did a little thinking about what we are going to eat.

Dude Food is definitely a must. (I would be so happy if my husband came home and was dying for smoked salmon with chili corn fritters, but that's about as likely to happen as him being alone on Father's Day.) So, to keep the guys happy, the best I can offer is BBQ.

My hubby happens to love brisket, so I'm gonna try this great looking BBQ sauce recipe. Looks like this sauce would be good on any grilled meat. No fancy salads, no champagne cream sauces. Just corn on the cob and salt potatoes, and I think both my Dad and Hubby will be happy.

Black Coffee BBQ Sauce:

Black Coffee Barbecue Sauce. Photo by Boomette
(Source food.com.)

Hopefully thrilled with a big BBQ, the guys will be even happier when we shower them with gifts. Every dad should have something home made from the little ones, so our little guy is going to draw a couple of pictures for his Daddy and his Pop, and using the link below we are going to make t-shirts! Isn't that the cutest idea?


Child Art Shirt from I Am Momma Hear Me Roar

The older kids like to shop, rather than be roped into another DIY project. But it's difficult to buy gifts for my Dad and husband because they both have a lot of stuff. This year I'm trying to think of gifts to make life a little easier. They may not be the most romantic gifts, but I'm pretty sure the guys will think they're cool. I'm not sure what I'll end up buying, but here are a few items on my radar.

Car Wash Vouchers. As my hubby says "A clean truck is a happy truck".  Is it just my Dad and my husband who are obsessed with washing cars?

A Hammock. To escape to some far corner of the yard.  They have hammocks that hang from the trees, or that can be moved anywhere in the yard.  They have hammocks for couples.  Hammocks to take camping, and hammocks that keeps bugs out. The hammock below is the #1 selling hammock, because it's sturdy, it's comfortable, AND it comes with a carrying bag, so you can take it with you camping !




Gorilla Garden Cart. These carts are super handy around the yard and they're way easier to maneuver than a wheelbarrow! I love how you can move the handle and hook it up to the tractor to pull it.



Frog Toggs Chilly Pad.  Just wet, drape around your neck, and stay cool (even though it looks silly, who cares!).




Headphones with hearing protection for ipod.  Let's him listen to music, not the mower! These are a little more expensive but they do block out the outside noises.



A Pocket Chainsaw. This looks ridiculous (to me), but according to close to 300 reviewers this works well. Apparently, you can saw through a 6" branch in just a couple of minutes. If you have a guy who likes to camp or snowmobile, it could come in handy. Plus it's much easier to remove an offensive branch of a tree then a hand saw.



So that's what I've got so far. If I do a good job, maybe the Dads will want us around next year! If not, we aren't offended, it gives us joy just annoying them!

So what are you going to make for the Dads in your life? Have you got any good gift ideas for your awesome Dads? I would love to hear them!

2 comments:

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

We love our frog toggs. It gets so hot here in the summer that nothing can save you, but the togg towels arent a bad start. :)

Jane B. said...

Food! My hubby would love it if we made a big barbecue dinner for Fathers Day, lol! Thanks for sharing ;)

Jane
FF