Thursday, June 13, 2013

Creamy Potato Salad Recipe (with Bacon)

Hello all! I hope you're having a great day!

I feel awful about my post yesterday - I'm sorry I wrote such a bummer of a post. No one wants to think about Poison Ivy. I hope you forgive me. Because of that, I decided to share a recipe that I hope will make it up to you.


potato salad, potato recipes, potato salad recipe


It's BBQ season, and therefore, potato salad season. I don't even like potatoes, but I like potato salad.  This is the recipe I use, and the combination is creamy, a little sweet, and a little salty.

I had a gallon bag of leftover salt potatoes, so I decided to make up a batch of potato salad, rather than just heat up the potatoes. I love using salt potatoes for the salad because they have so much flavor. If you can't have or don't like salt (or don't have any leftover salt potatoes), fear not. Just boil up about 2 lbs of potatoes and you're good to go.

When I make potato salad, I keep the skins on. Lots of the vitamins in a potato are in the skins. However, if you don't want to use the skins, be my guest, and just peel all of those vitamins away. (My Mom will be so proud of me that I'm lecturing you on keeping the vitamin-filled skins on!)


Don't tell, but speaking of being somewhat healthy, for the mayo, I used 1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt and 1/2 cup mayonnaise, just my little attempt at reducing the fat in this salad. No one will know the difference, and it just makes ME feel better about myself if I cut some of the fat.

Creamy Potato Salad

Serves 8

Ingredients:
  • 6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), cubed
  • 1/2 lb bacon (see note)
  • 1 cup thinly sliced or diced celery
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 hard boiled egg, chopped
For the dressing:
  • 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons celery seeds
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 TBSP Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (DO NOT add if you used salt potato leftovers!)
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
  • Fresh dill (for garnish)
** Before you make the salad, partially freeze your bacon, and with a sharp knife cut it into small pieces. Cook in the frying pan until crispy. Cool.
Boil your potatoes until tender. Use whatever method you like, cube them first, boil them whole. Just don't let them get too mushy. I cut mine fairly small because I just like smaller pieces. Let them cool.
Hard boil your eggs and cool them.
Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, cooked bacon and hard boiled eggs.
Meanwhile mix the dressing ingredients.
Combine the potato mixture with the dressing ingredients and garnish with fresh dill.
(Apparently fresh dill is not for everyone. When I served this last night, our 5 year old said "Oh potatoes with grass on top. Can I  have spaghetti?")
Tightly cover and chill potato salad before eating.
Apart from the wet ingredients, you can omit or add what you like. I did not use bacon tonight, only because I'm saving that for Big A for breakfast tomorrow, and don't have an extra package. Sometimes I add a couple of handfuls of cooked peas. Sometimes I use green onion instead of white. Sometimes I use olive oil instead of the mayo... You get the idea.

What is your go-to potato salad recipe? Do you have a secret ingredient? I would love to test your recipes!

creamy potato salad, potato recipes, potato salad, potato salad recipe,

 Want to Party?

SUNDAY


Sunny Simple Sundays Party at Sunny Simple Life
Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime
Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes
Nifty Thrifty Sunday at Nifty Thrifty Things
Restyled Sundays at Stylish Once Again
Silver Pennies Sundays at Silver Pennies
Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop at A Blossoming Life

MONDAY

Before and After at Thrifty Decor Chick (first Monday of the month)
TUESDAY
WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY
FRIDAY
SATURDAY

5 comments:

Sylvia said...

I am a science teacher and I liked reading about poison ivy.
Tip for the bacon: if you forget to put it in the freezer for a short time, use kitchen scissors to cut it into small pieces. Works for me.

Unknown said...

Hi Sylvia! Thanks for stopping by! Good idea about the bacon! I never thought of scissors!

Diann said...

Sounds totally yummy!

The Charm of Home said...

Looks delicious! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

Unknown said...

This sounds yummy! Thanks for linking up with LWSL this week!