Thursday, February 26, 2015

Tea Lights From Old Jars

glitter, tea lights, glitter tea lights, diy candles, home decor


Weeks on end of sub-zero temperatures are getting me down ~ Mother Nature is off my Christmas Card List.

Rather than have a full blown sulk, I turned up the heat, and went rummaging through my basement. I grabbed glitter. Lately, it seems whenever I'm looking for something to do, and it's too cold to go outside, I reach for the glitter. I particularly love gold glitter.

Then I went dumpster diving at my parents house. That's right, I have no pride, but I've scored some great stuff. In particular, I found a couple of old pimento jars. What? They're not trash! They have cute little handle things.

So I mixed about 1/4 cup of Elmer's Glue with an equal amount of water. I used a small paint brush to "paint" the glue mixture on the inside of the jars. Then poured about a tablespoon of gold glitter into each jar, and tilted the jars to distribute the glitter. When I was happy with that, I tipped out the excess glitter.

After the glue/glitter dried, I wrapped a little twine, securing with hot glue, around the tops.

Perfect tea light holders. :)

What's going on in your neck of the woods? What are you working on?

3 comments:

Erlene said...

I love glitter too. I would be so happy if I could glitterize everything.

Unknown said...

I had those jars, they're from "canned" fruit. Bought the fruit just for the jars =)

Unknown said...

Glitter definitely makes winter blues feel a bit better. Your candles are so pretty and such a great idea.