Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Painting Outdoor Furniture

Hello and welcome! I hope you're having a great week. I am too, but the weather hasn't exactly been cooperating, and therefore, my front porch progress is only plodding along.
 
 
Despite Mother Nature (now known as "The Big Meanie") trying her best to slow my progress, I did manage to finally paint the rocking chairs. I had two super comfy, but somewhat faded wood rockers, which I decided would look a little better painted black.

 
 
First, I sanded the chairs very lightly with a fine grade sandpaper - just to get off any grime and cobwebs. Then I wiped them down with a damp cloth and let them dry.
 
I took the chairs outside my favorite spot to spray paint in the back yard, and gave
them three coats of glossy black spray paint.
(I didn't primer the chairs, and it worked, but the paint did soak in quite a bit.)
 
After they had good coverage, I got in one coat of polyurethane before the rain put a damper on things.
 
 
We have the chairs on our covered front porch, but I think I'll still give them another coat of the poly once we have a guaranteed dry day.  Either way, I'm not going to wait for The Big Meanie to let me finish my project, so I'll show you now...
 
They look a lot better already, don't you think?
 

 I really like them black.

 
I am considering whether to paint the little café set black too. What do you think?


I still have to find a couple of runner rugs that I like. I specifically need runners that wont look too dirty after the kids and a large dog run all over them!
 
Once I find the rugs, I'll be completely satisfied with the porch for this summer.
Oh WAIT, not quite! We still have to paint the front door black. Ok, so it might be a while... 


 In the meantime, it's getting kinda cozy out on my porch - and notice the sun came out that night? I guess the Big Meanie felt bad.
 She's forgiven.


Party Time!


SUNDAY

Sunny Simple Sundays Party at Sunny Simple Life
Sundae Scoop at I Heart Naptime
Think Pink Sundays at Flamingo Toes
Nifty Thrifty Sunday at Nifty Thrifty Things
Restyled Sundays at Stylish Once Again
Silver Pennies Sundays at Silver Pennies
Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop at A Blossoming Life

 
 
MONDAY

Before and After at Thrifty Decor Chick (first Monday of the month)
 
TUESDAY
 
WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY
 
FRIDAY
 
 
SATURDAY
 
 

11 comments:

Claire Justine said...

You did a great job here :)

thanks for sharing over at our WW hop :)

http://www.clairejustineoxox.com/

Caroline Gerardo said...

I have my cast iron and rod iron furniture on the lawn just like your process :) Do paint the table to match!

Stampin' VMG206 said...

I like the black, too, Julia! Thank you so much for Linking Up at Brag About It @VMG206 this week. We are so happy to have you join us!
~ Megin of VMG206
Please Link Up at my NEW party!! Open NOW (Sat thru Fri) @ DIY Showcase Link Party

Unknown said...

Think I will def paint the café set black now... :) Thanks all for stopping by!

Cynthia said...

They look great now! Love the black. I just painted the rocker on my front porch, too... so much fresher now!

Unknown said...

You did an awesome job Julia! Those chairs look great! Enjoy the rest of your Wednesday.

Unknown said...

Thanks Cynthia and Judy - I love them now!

Anonymous said...

Love the black paint that you used - it makes a statement and we love that!

So glad you linked up with us at the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Link and Hop.

We'd love it if you would link back to BeBetsy! http://bebetsy.com

Have a great weekend~xo
Sharon and Denise!

Fluster Buster said...

The chairs look great in black! I would definitely paint the cafe table black too! Thanks for sharing at Fluster Buster's Creative Muster!

Robin @ Fluster Buster

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Love the black! I think the little set would be darling too. so glad that the big meanine decided to be a little sweetie! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Outdoor furniture said...

lovely article..lately me and my daughter have been painting my outdoor furniture..we have so much fun and she enjoys it..