Sunday, February 10, 2013

DIY glitter candle holders

I had these tea light holders that I got at the dollar store a couple of years ago.  I use them but their kind of boring. So, I decided to glam them up. Any glass receptacle (wine glass, mason jar, jelly jar) would work.  Against my better judgement, I decided this would be fun to do with my teen-aged daughter. But we will get to that later.

[caption id="attachment_773" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Dollar Store Glass[/caption]

We all know glitter gets everywhere, so I used a gallon sized ziploc bag and an old cake tin, to put the holders in, and TRY to keep the glitter at bay.

I went to AC Moore and bought "white gold" glitter, which actually just looks plain gold to me, but whatever.  You can use Elmer's glue, but I had a tub of "glittering glue", cuz I'm a geek like that. It comes with a little brush attached to the lid.  Of course you can use any paint brush, or even an old make up brush, if you don't have a cool bottle of glittering glue. I won't judge you.

[caption id="attachment_774" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Glittering Glue[/caption]

Ok, so get your pen and paper because the directions for this project are pretty in depth.

1. Use brush to paint the glue all over the inside of the candle holder.

[caption id="attachment_775" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Painting with Glue[/caption]

2. Sprinkle the glitter on the glue.



3. Let dry.

[caption id="attachment_777" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Glue and Glittyer Drying[/caption]

4. Make chicken nuggets for 14 year old daughter (glittering requires sustenance).



Easy and fun!  I guess it took about 4 hours for the glue to dry.

Now, before I end this glittering good time, there are a couple of glittering do's and don'ts.

Well, mostly dont's:


  • Don't breathe deeply while sprinkling glitter - it will make you cough for hours.


  • Similarly, don't breathe deeply while sprinkling glitter- it will make you sneeze
    and blow glitter all over the counter.


  •  Don't let your 14 year old daughter help - she will glitter the dog.


 

[caption id="attachment_781" align="aligncenter" width="225"] Dog.[/caption]

But the tea lights look pretty!