Thursday, March 28, 2013

Turkey Time

Before I got started for the day, I threw a turkey breast in the crock-pot. It's gonna be a busy day with one kid home sick, one in high school, another in pre-school, soccer practice, shopping...  Nothing is easier than the crock pot, and y'all know how nice it is to come home to the house smelling delicious.

I'm not usually a fan of white meat turkey, but this comes out juicy and tender.



(I confess - the photo is of the Turkey uncooked because, quite frankly we ate it before I remembered to take a picture!)

Spring Turkey (why Spring? Ummm, because I'm serving it with coleslaw!)
Serves 4, with leftovers

1 7 lb frozen turkey breast (bone in)
1/2 stick butter
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
4 oz marmalade
1 cup (hot) chicken stock
1 onion, quartered
1 large clove garlic

Wash the turkey breast and pat dry. Put all ingredients in crock-pot.

Place butter and 1/2 onion inside cavity and put turkey breast side down. 

Cook on high for 2 hours, reduce to low and cook for 5 more hours. Make sure internal temp is 170F.

I cook mine with the skin on, but I wouldn't EAT the skin, just remove when you slice turkey.

Take the turkey out of the crock pot and keep tented in tinfoil before you slice it to keep it warm.

Meanwhile, take all of the juices from the crock pot and use to make a gravy. If you need instructions, go HERE

Slice and serve. I served mine with coleslaw, green beans, and mashed potatoes.

Now if you don't have a crock pot, you must get one! NOW! Only joking, but they are super handy to have, and pretty inexpensive. Mine is Hamilton Beach and it works perfectly every time.

No comments: