Saturday, January 11, 2014

Crock Pot Korean Ribs

Hello Folks! Happy (belated) New Year!

It's been a long couple of weeks. The day after Christmas, complications from the flu landed me in the hospital for 6 days, with dehydration, and then Pneumonia.  Let's just say - next year I'm getting my flu shot!  I'm so happy to be home now, but still working on getting back to normal.

Our family has taken over errands and running kids, and feeding us all. I'm so grateful to everyone. The kids have been good as gold, and Big A has been playing nurse, plus trying to work full time. I, on the other hand, have been completely useless!

Thankfully, I'm finally feeling a little better. Not well enough to pay everyone back, but well, I decided to at least help a little with the cooking. All I can say is "Thank God for Crock Pots"!!!

This recipe is one of my favorites. All you need is about 10 minutes worth of energy to throw this delicious meal together. Just pop it in the crock pot, and in a few hours, dinner is done! Serve with rice and any veggie you like.

CROCK POT KOREAN RIBS
SERVES 6


short ribs, crock pot recipe, crock pot ribs
 photo source
  • 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
     
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
     
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
     
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
     
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
     
  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed
     
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
     
  • 5 lbs beef short ribs or 5 lbs pork ribs
     
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
     
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (use the cheese grater)
     
  • 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
     
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
     
  • 3 cups cooked white rice

Directions:

Stir soy sauce, sugar, oil, vinegar, ginger, garlic and red pepper in bowl.

Place ribs in 5 quart crock pot, and add the sauce. Cover, and cook on High for 6 hours or Low for 9 hours, until meat is tender.

Transfer ribs to a platter, and keep warm in a low oven. Skim and discard excess fat from liquid. Combine cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water; blend with liquid in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring, until thickened. Stir in carrots. Top ribs with sauce, scallions and sesame seeds.

 Serve over rice.

(Tomorrow I'm making a Pork Tenderloin  with Cranberry Sauce. Recipe to follow!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Get well Julie!

Unknown said...

I want to pin this but can't from my phone. I will come back and do it from my computer.

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Another recipe I am pinning. Sorry you've been so sick. Hope you are back to full strength very soon!