Stew season is upon us, and this is the perfect side dish for sopping up all of the delicious gravies and broth. If you're getting bored of mashed potatoes or rice, you have to give this a try ~ it's deliciously creamy! To serve, put the puree in the bottom of a large bowl and top with your favorite stew.
White Bean Puree
- 2 (400 g) cans cannellini beans, rinsed,drained
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1-2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- Combine beans and stock in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a low simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cover and simmer for 10 more minutes
- Uncover and if needs be, simmer stirring occasionally about 10 mins or until most of the liquid is absorbed. (see photo below)
- Blend with remaining ingredients, until you have a smooth puree.
- Add salt to taste.
For an appetizer or a snack, make a thicker puree, and simmer until all of the water is absorbed, blend until smooth, and serve on crostini, or crusty bread.
Want some fun add-ins? Got it! Just stir in one or more of the following:
-finely chop some fresh rosemary
-a teaspoon of grated lemon zest
-sauteed finely chopped shallots
-thinly sliced, sauteed mushrooms
-thinly sliced, sauteed leeks